Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dear Family
,
Transfers were today! Sister Welch is now in Richland, MS and my new companion is Sister Creager. Sister Creager is from a town called Weston which is in Southeastern Idaho, she is second of five children, all of which are girls. She's been out as long as Sister Welch (10 months), and has served in El Dorado, AK and just came from Florence, MS. She's an art major at Utah State. That is all I know, so hopefully you find it sufficient :) I just hope that after that two and a half hour drive with a semi-sleep deprived, very rambly me, she hasn't decided I'm a complete nutter yet. It would spoil the surprise, and that's just no fun ;)
Since there's opposition in all things, you could say that our poison ivy bout earned us a miracle. We'll call it my poison ivy miracle that in all actuality has nothing to do with poison ivy. Here's the story: We've just about taught L all the missionary lesson so far. No problems. We thought that the Word of Wisdom would be the trial of her faith, mega answer from God time, but instead she just accepted it, and didn't actually drink very much tea or coffee anyways. Rats. She has the Doctrine and Covenants, and has always loved everything we've shared, but has been waiting on that answer. She's told us that she wouldn't be able to come to church until she knew it was true, because she's a secretary for her Baptist church (I can't remember if I told y'all, but a couple weeks ago we figured out that she goes to the same exact church as A. Crazy sauce). This week we decided to just really focus on the importance of coming to church in order to receive that confirmation, and we were kind of nervous that we'd get the answer she's usually given again. Random side note, but that morning I had actually taught District Meeting about the importance of teaching by the Spirit, so when Moroni 7 (the way to judge) scriptures popped in my head as we were following up with her reading, we just went with it. I found myself talking about how it's not about who's wrong or who's right, but about trying to follow Christ as closely as you can. This then led to talking about the Spirit, and then I started telling her about how I decided to go to BYU and serve a mission, as examples of instead of receiving an answer you can pinpoint, things just kind of all fall into place. She agreed that sometimes we receive answers by simply moving forward, and trusting that the Lord would stop us if it was against His will. I wanted to smile real big, and say, "EXACTLY!" but instead I looked over to Sister Welch, who promptly invited L to church. L's response? "I might need the address again." Hallelujah! Teaching by the Spirit is good stuff; God always knows what his children need to hear, even if it feels a little random or off topic at first.

L was only able to stay for sacrament meeting (her husband didn't want to come, and since he has Alzheimer's she doesn't like leaving him alone too long), but she really enjoyed it and says she will definitely come again :) She even paid a fast offering. Such an elect lady. Of course all the testimonies were about temple work, endowments for the dead, genealogy, etc. which we've never gotten into with her, but even though she was a little confused at times, she still felt the Spirit, and enjoyed church. I was inwardly laughing the whole time, because I was imagining how I would've been feeling if just anyone was there with us, but luckily L is awesome. C+C also came, and loved church again; they're really just becoming a part of the ward. We finally taught them the whole Restoration lesson this week, and we did it in Mike and Amy Turley's home (Mike and Amy got married a couple weeks ago! :) and it was awe-some. C even shared about how from reading the bible, she's always questioned why she would have to pray to Saints when she can just pray directly to God. Basically she told us she's not really Catholic, when all along we've been thinking she's really devout. She just has a lot of faith instead, which is good news for us :) Hallelujah round two!
It was sad to say goodbye to Sister Welch, but Sister Creager is super nice, and I'm excited for this next transfer. Many more miracles are on their way, I can just feel it :) God is good!
Love y'all
Sister Markle

No comments:

Post a Comment