Friday, June 27, 2014

Monday, June 16, 2014

Dear Family,
Whew-y Cancun looked and sounded like a blast. It doesn't seem real that you both got to go, but I guess that's why we have cameras. Proof. Someone needs to tell Katie and Kami that imitation is the highest form of flattery, so clearly they both look up to me more than simply in the literal sense ;) hahaha except that Kami needs to cool her jets with those boys, she's a whole year away from dating!

I think getting a new companion has helped me remember how crazy life in Greenville really is. When I first got here I remember being so bemused, but slowly I've been desensitized towards life in the countrified-ghetto. It's just life. Random funny moments from the week: we were teaching a brief lesson to a few teenagers, and when one of them interrupted to ask me if I've been on T.V., I told her she was getting me confused with the girl in Good Luck Charlie, then moved on with the lesson. I was taught how to "ghetto knock" this week by random people across the street from us. An old lady told us that when she was coming out of anesthesia the other week, the first thing she did was grab her breasts to make sure they were still there (they're her pride and joy, you see). Oh and after an interesting conversation about what makes us different (aka actually keeping the commandments) this drunk man told us that we were the only pure women he had ever met, to which I replied, do you seriously ask every lady you meet whether she's had sex before? People can be so skrange.

This week we made sure to get F involved in our lesson with L; a couple hymns and scriptures later, and they were both committed to coming to church on Sunday! F wanted to leave after sacrament meeting, but it was just such a miracle to get them both there. We're hoping that now that he's been to our church, it will help him to be more open to Linnie making the decision to be baptized. We're praying to help her set a baptismal date this week, so hopefully all goes well! She's really just so so close.
C+C's lesson went unexpectedly, but it was good stuff. We weren't quite so bold as we initially thought we were going to be, but really it's for the best. C asked us to start teaching his girlfriend without him there, because he simply can't help but ask his burning questions, and it'd be more beneficial for her if she can ask here own. That's what we've been wanting all along, so it was a tender mercy for him to come up with the idea on his own. Also when slyly talking about goals, such as oh you know marriage, we found out that their hold-up is her green-card which is being processed through Texas, thus taking forever. Three months left though! I dunno if you need a green-card to get married, but at least now we have a better idea of where they're at. We're also a little worried that C is feeling pushed by her boyfriend, so we'll work on clearing things up this week.
There are a couple cool young mothers that we recently started working with that have lots of potential, so I'll have to fill you in on them next week when I have more time. The work is continuing to roll forward! It's been such a blessing to be a part of the work here in Greenville, and I know that it will just keep continuing to progress. Love you all to the moon and back!

-Sister Markle

No comments:

Post a Comment