Thursday, March 6, 2014

Monday, February 17, 2014

Family!
Funny story. All of Ashley's kids started calling me Teddy Duncan after we first met, but I figured the joke would eventually die. It has not died. They even got a member we brought over last week converted too. She looked up pictures of Teddy online, and proclaimed us twins. I look nothing like Teddy. I am going to start a support group for blonde white people that do not look alike, but are harassed into thinking they look alike.

Most of the people we're trying to work with have very set schedules, so Ashley has been the focus because we can work with her more frequently than others. Her baptism date is not until mid March, but it's been hard to determine whether she is simply progressing slow, or whether she lacks desire, and honestly I think it's a little of both. It's been one of those tricky situations where we couldn't quite figure out if the Lord was teaching us patience and charity (which granted, he is), or whether we are actually being taught faith, and need to stop focusing on Ashley until she's ready, and allow the Lord to provide new people to teach. It's been quite the mixture, but we are willing to do whatever the Lord requires. At this point we're going to talk with Ashley tomorrow and see if she's willing to act in faith and make this a priority, and we'll trust that the Spirit will give us direction as to where we need to go from there.

I DO have a fun finding story for you this week, so clearly the Lord does provide, even when things seem a little impossible:
On Monday nights an awesome sister from the RS Presidency comes out with us to appointments, or to do her visiting teaching. Last Monday we asked if her husband (a member of the bishopric, did I mention this family is awesome?) could tag along. We wanted to teach this older gentleman and thought he good use some good ole male fellowship. They happily agreed, and we went on our merry way. To our chagrin the older gentleman is still very much Baptist, so rest assured that is not the finding story I had to tell. The magic happened AFTER this visit.

When we all got in the car, our upstanding priesthood holder announced that he would like to take us to visit a different older gentleman that he has been working on for years. The man was excommunicated long ago, is kind of deaf and blind, and has resisted many attempts to get him back in church. Sister Welch and I were obviously game. Old people are our favorite. His wife, on the other hand, got a little grumbly and defensive over her visiting teaching time. Nonetheless, she was a good sport, and we were off.

Before we went in, we were warned that the man has a non-member housekeeper that was uninterested in learning more. We went in, and had a really good visit. The older gentleman really enjoys the company of sister missionaries (in a non-creepy-we're-like-his-grandkids kind of way) so we were sitting over by him, having a shouting-conversation so that he could hear. Unbeknownst to us the RS sister, was talking with the Rosemary the housekeeper, and then had the overwhelming impression pop into her head about whether or not anyone had invited Rosemary to learn more. And so she did. And she said yes. Members for the win.

We've taught Rosemary three times already, and while she's currently not into organized religion we're acting in faith here. I know that the Lord will always provide, so even if nothing results of teaching Rosemary, we'll be fine.
Also, I probably need to confess something. I think it started two transfers ago, but President McDonough forwards good stories that are emailed to him to the whole mission after changing names. I really enjoy dramatic stories, and writing, so I've made it a game of seeing if I can write emails that President can't possibly not send out to the whole mission. I think so far I've had three of mine forwarded to everyone. Impure motives for writing good emails? Possibly. At least it entices me to write more than the couple sentences I generally write him. So ya. Any dramatic story y'all receive is either copied from my email to him, or gets copied into my email to him. Bad Madi.
Good luck with the race training! I'm happy you got to see Mongie, even if it was only for a little bit :)  AND I'M SO EXCITED FOR CC STILL! :)
Lots of Doubles!
Sister Markle

No comments:

Post a Comment