Thursday, February 6, 2014

Monday, February 3, 2014

Family!
I think I've determined the cause of the luggage mix-up. I got to Transfer-point like 15 minutes late, due to not ever feeling like packing (I chalk it up to feeling sickly, thus not ever feeling like doing anything). The night before I hurried and filled my baby suitcase and one big one, but I still had all my clothes to pack that next morning, plus shower. I figured I'd have time. I did not have time. I have waaaay too many clothes at present. People keep leaving cute things behind that I just can't NOT take, plus I got all that winter stuff from y'all, plus I have the winter stuff that I had to go out and buy prior to getting stuff from y'all. Ridiculous, really.
So ya. Poor time-management, plus an excessive amount of things equaled late to T-point. Lucky for me the second van still wasn't there (and wasn't going to be there for another hour), but I was still feeling very frazzled so when an Elder started tagging my luggage with colored pipe cleaner, I didn't question his color-usage. Actually, that's a lie, I did question whether that color meant Jackson Zone, and he said yes, but that I could check the chart if I really wanted to. I checked the chart, and the chart said green was Jackson, and the color he put on seemed neon green so I let it slide. Lies. He put on yellow. Yellow meant Gulfport. There is an unnamed colorblind Elder in this mission that deserves my vengeance. Haha I guess it's a common mistake though, since the same thing happened to two other missionary's things. They either need a better system of tagging luggage, or need to put the similar colors in neighboring zones. Luckily we didn't miss any appointments, just a relief society function. All in all it was no big deal, just another ridiculous story to add to the ridiculous things that happen to me all the time.
My new companion is Sister Welch, she's from Pleasant View Utah which is just outside of Ogden. Her previous area was Hattiesburg, and she only left last transfer so that's why I had already met her. Sister Harker is actually follow-up training her kid Sister Hansen in Hattiesburg right now, so that's pretty cool. Sister Welch just hit her 6 month mark a few days ago, so we burned a shirt in an alleyway, ghetto style. She randomly has a cousin that lives here, so we planned to burn it at her house, but she said the alleyway would be safer. We got plenty of weird looks by passing locals. Dang Mormons. Why can't they just be normal.
The new apartment is nice, but I've been so babied in Oak Grove lately that it's a little hard to appreciate my new living situation ;) haha just kidding, there's just really weird light switches, and it's older, but overall in good condition. No critters, so that's good too (although it's still winter, so maybe we'll have some more friends come summer...).
Church was really interesting, this ward has got a whole lot more character than I've seen thus far. Welch blames it on the Delta. I really love it so much already, it's just I feel like I find it more humorous than I should... Lots of fun quotes though. During ward council the status of getting a calling for a recently reactivated ward member was brought up and a lady, with as much gusto as she could muster, said, "She will be receiving an assignment. Jane's (name changed to protect identity) attendance has been inconsistent. Giving her a calling would be foolhardy. She will be receiving an assignment." I died laughing (inside my head, don't worry, I kept my composure). It was just really unusual. I'll be speaking in church in two weeks, so maybe I'll study up on the importance of helping those that are weak become strong through trust and encouragement... and assignments ;) 
I'm feeling loads better Mom, so no worries :) No more left over sickliness, just a semi-chain-smoker sounding voice when it's late at night or early in the morning. We have a full time car, plus Welch has had reconstructive surgery on both her knees, so biking is painful for her. She bikes every Thursday for Thirsty Thursday (mission-wide day that we try to not drive, so that we're more "visible" in the community), but other than that we'll be sticking to the car for the most part. Also, my bike was left on the coast due to no bike rack on the T-van that brought back all the lost luggage, so I won't be biking for a couple weeks anyways. The Gulfport Zone Leaders will hand off my bike to the Jackson Zone Leaders at MLC (Missionary Leadership Council), at which point it will one day make the long trip to the boonies, and I'll get it eventually probably maybe.
Greenville seems really fun, really ghetto, so really fun. Due to the holidays and other things the work seems to have been slow here, but I'm sure it'll pick up this transfer. Our area covers tons of neighboring small towns so we eep into Arkansas a smidge. Lake Village, Cleveland, Rosedale, Hollandale, Indianola, Newland, etc. we've got it all. Sister Cottrell said we have the biggest area of the mission, but as far as actual proselyting goes we stick to Greenville mostly. Most of the ward lives about an hour away though so it's back to the frozen food for me :) Like I said, Oak Grove very much so babied me, and I've been due for a be-humblement ;)
Love you all oodles and boodles!
Sister Markle
P.S. I'm still super excited for CC :)
P.S.S - I forgot to tell y'all my funny story of the week! So were visiting a less-active named Latoya. She's awesome. She was braiding (and by braiding, I mean BRAIDING braiding, hard core braiding) this random girl's hair the whole time, and some other random young girl came in too. As we were leaving Latoya told me that I looked really familiar, and so I told her it was probably because I look somewhat like Sister Cottrell (who I was just serving with, and who opened Greenville for sisters like four months ago). Ever since I got here people have told me that I look just like here, and act like her too. Even missionaries on the transfer van said the same thing. We're twins I guess. Anyways, Latoya said that that must be it. She then said that even though all white people look alike, I look especially like Sister Cottrell. I informed them that I just have one of those faces, and that some kid I worked with once swore that I looked just like the girl from Good Luck Charlie, which I don't, but he'd always try to make me say Good Luck Charlie anyways. They readily agreed that I looked like that girl. They then started naming other random blonde white actresses that I also looked like. I called them rascist, and walked out while they laughed hysterically. Weirdest, funniest moment of my life.
That is all.
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment