Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Monday, September 30, 2013

Family,
Yup, I'm a grandma. Weird, right? I figured they'd let me raise a child on my own before making me a grandma, but oh well. Sister Borja is so great; she is 21, and speaks English really well, because she lived in Utah for a year studying the language at some school in Orem. She is tiny, and cute. Yesterday while we were tracting, at every door I told her "maybe someone Spanish lives here" just to be funny. Those kind of jokes only get funnier the more you abuse them, you see. At houses that had sign like "the Davids" I'd say the name with a Spanish accent, and tell her she would for sure get to speak Spanish at this house. Two hours later and no Spanish people. Right before we finished up, we get to literally the last house on the street, and what do you know? A woman opens the door, and with a heavy Spanish accent tells us she has company coming, and to come back on Tuesday. As soon as the door closed we started dancing around, because we found our Spanish person. Clearly I'm inspired, just saying.
One of Brandon's pieces of mission advice he told me was to never go tracting. He had me swear to it. He broke down all these numbers, and explained to me the inefficiency of it. Obviously I agreed. It is inefficient, and finding through members is a much better way. When I came out here it became readily apparent that without tracting, we would be doing substantially less. Member missionary work is still at it's beginning stages, and so in the meantime our mission president has asked us to tract 7 hours a week. Lots of reasons behind it, and with there not having been missionaries in my area for so long, it made sense that we wouldn't be re-tracting too many people. Finally found my first person who said they had been tracted into before, and told the missionaries to never come back. He was annoyed we came back. We assured him we would write his address down and make a note to not come back. As we were leaving he said, "see you later," which made me laugh so I said "you said 'see you later,' but really you meant 'hope to see you never.'" He did not understand, and repeated, "see you later." People.
Another funny tracting story just for kicks (if tracting is good for nothing else, it is good for funny stories). After saying a prayer with a retired detective, he pulled me aside to tell me something "potentially rather embarrassing." He said that I have... I can't remember what it was called, but essentially he said that during the prayer he noticed I was standing with my feet pointed inwards, which meant I have this this weird condition and need to get special braces for my feet. I laughed. I called over my shoulder to my companions and told them that evidently I have "(insert whatever foot condition he said)" which then made them laugh. I assured him that I am just an awkward lerp, who sometimes stands awkwardly. Lesson learned. Don't stand pigeon toed during a prayer.
It's definitely true that when you stay in an area for a long time, you get to know the people really well. I think my family has officially doubled since coming here; people keep adopting us as their own. M.L.'s husband has called us her "Mormon daughters," and Sister Eason has told us that she is our mother while we are away from our real ones. I won't even begin to mention all my new grandparents. I get to talk to tons of people a day, some nice, some not so nice, but it's been so good.
Love you all so much!
Sister Markle

No comments:

Post a Comment