Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday, October 21, 2013

Hola Familia!
It's really cool to see the difference in how I teach lessons from the beginning of the mission to now; before we were very conscious of the lesson we were teaching, employed visuals, and tried to cover the material. Now it's not so simple. I feel the Spirit much more during lessons, and am more focused on the individual, than the material we had planned to cover. It means that teaching records look more interesting, but people are taught more to their needs. The coolest moments for me are the analogies that pop into my head during a lesson, they help me recognize that I am teaching by the Spirit. I love similes, and I think the Spirit does too, after all the scriptures are filled with parables and such.
Two recent examples:
-During our lesson with H this week we were reviewing prophets and leading up to watching the Restoration movie with her. In the middle of talking about their role, I got the idea to compare them to band directors. Each of us is capable of beautiful music, but through the help of the band we can work together. We have the sheet music (scriptures), but with someone to lead us, we can reach our full potential. The apostasy was compared to a story she told us about people goofing off during class. It was all totally unplanned, and really cool
-During gospel principles this week we were talking about tithing. An analogy popped into my head "Imagine your mom spent a ton of time making you an amazing cake for your birthday (bless her heart). Would you eat the entire cake in front of her, or would you give her back a slice to eat with you? Sure the cake is technically yours at this point, but the classy thing to do is share. The Lord gives you all things, and as a sign of gratitude we give a small portion back. We call it tithing."
Basically the Spirit is the coolest. End of story.
Thank you so much for the package, I love you all and hope life is great!
-Sister Markle

No comments:

Post a Comment