Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday, August 19, 2013

Dear Family,
I got both letters! Yay! Maybe stick with gmail, or try both accounts next week and we'll test if the other is still not going through.
I've determined that mission life involves every week being weird in its own unique way. This week was weird, because not only is Sister Harker gone, but we've also started upping our tracting. I've never been super excited about tracting, and Sister Harker either refused to do it, or would only do a little bit, but the mission has really pushing that we get out and do it. We had five hours total this week, which I'm pretty sure is more than my previous two transfers combined. Definitely not very good at tracting yet, but as we've been doing it, we've been getting better at it. It's one of those skills that will require consistent effort, but we're already being blessed for our efforts, and have found people to teach.
Cool story. Yesterday we went to follow-up with a woman who said we could come back Sunday, and Sister McMurtry said we should just drive over because we were already in the car. I felt like we should drive back to our apartment and walk. I explained it wasn't a super strong impression, but that it just felt right. She was less than enthused, but was game. I felt like the pressure was on, and so I prayed that God would make the walk worthwhile. He did. Sister McMurtry was speed walking straight to the house, but I said we should turn and walk down this other street which circled to the street we were headed to. She asked why. Honestly I didn't have a good reason. I was actually kind of hoping we'd see this older couple that were referred to us by temple square my first transfer (they told us to "let it alone for a while" on the phone after dodging appointments) who lived on the street. I was being stalkerish, and felt ashamed, but as I was explaining the situation to Sister McMurtry, we came upon a house with a woman and her teenage daughter sitting on their porch. We said hello, and slowly made our way through small talk to their porch, and then sat with them for an hour talking about the church, missions, and answering questions. We have a return appointment for this week with the L family. ALSO because we were walking we were able to meet the husband of the lady we were originally headed to follow up with. He is actually more open to learning more than her, and set up a specific return appointment for this week. Blessings. The Lord truly works in mysterious ways, ways which, as it turns out, include walking preferences and stalker tendencies.
It's definitely weird being senior companion. A lot of responsibility, and more pressure, but more power. I liked being junior companion. I don't know if I will ever really be totally game with this senior companion thing. Also the training this is still weird. A little less weird, because now there's not two trainers/ two trainees, with me being the awkward trainer but still pretty much trainee. Hopefully things will start feeling normal soon. Love you all!
Sister Markle

No comments:

Post a Comment